December 29, 2010

Kerala Style, Spiced, Aromatic Prawn Roast — Chemmeen Roast

Pin It

Prawns, eh?!! Yum! 

This recipe is so easy to prepare and mouthwateringly delicioustrust me! Both my kids, including my youngest who is a fussy eater, totally love this. 

A family favorite, it is, and my crowning glory at home. Why not make it yours!??




Kerala Style, Spiced, Aromatic Prawn/Shrimp Roast — Chemmeen Roast 

Ingredients
Serves 4

500g prawns or shrimps, peeled and deveined
3 teaspoon kashmiri chili powder
1 teaspoon turmeric powder
1 green chili, slit
1 inch fresh ginger piece
5 sprig curry leaves, divided
Salt, to taste
2 cups water, plus extra for grinding
2 tablespoon oil, or more (use coconut oil for authentic taste)




Directions

Grind ginger, green chili, 2 sprig curry leaves, turmeric powder and chili powder to a smooth paste, adding a small amount of water. 

In a heavy-based pan, combine the masala paste with the water and place over medium-low heat. Tip in the prawns and season. Simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until prawns are tender. Then increase the heat and boil the liquid until thick and reduced, stirring often. When most of the liquid has been absorbed and the prawns are coated with the marinade, drizzle generously with oil. Taste and season, if needed. Add remaining curry leaves — or as much as you like — and cook over very low heat for a few more minutes. Ah, at this stage, don't forget to enjoy the smell of the roasting prawns wafting through the kitchen, whetting your appetite! And, take care not to scorch the marinade. Remove from heat when the prawns start to crisp and turn golden brown. Serve warm with steamed rice.


Note: This is a spicy preparation. Feel free to omit green chili and adjust the kashmiri chili powder for a milder version. 


Hungry for more? Check out my other prawn recipes

18 comments:

  1. yummy dish..drooooling :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Judith SerraoDecember 30, 2010

    Absolutely divine pictures. Can you tell us which Camera and lenses you use. Amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Filu: This superb dish is super easy to prepare too!Plz try it out and share your thoughts. Thanks.

    @Judith: Again, thanks for your generous compliments. I'm using a compact Canon point and shoot digital camera. Actually taking pictures has been one of the greatest challenges so far - I wish I had a DSLR for better quality images.

    ReplyDelete
  4. this is mouthwatering!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow... Amazing Dish.. Wonderful Click dear..Tried this and came out really well..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aw, thank y'all. Hey Deeps, I'm so glad to know it came out well..:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. nash this just made me drool..im on a one week diet and so will be able 2 give this a go only after that..and damn i had to see this at a time im soooo hungry

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey I certainly can vouch for this recipe, Nisha. It has all the WOW factors. Sathyam parangal my kids are always asking me to make this. And the best part is there's no big list of ingredients and -- absolutely no chopping! :)

    On another note, wish I could go on diet too. Food blogging is proving to be too fattening for my liking...!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Would love to make this but have no idea where I'd get these curry leaves you speak of :(

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi County, curry leaves is a herb which is a staple in South Indian cooking. This recipe gets its distinct flavor and taste from the liberal use of this herb. Why don't you check out any Asian store -- Indian or Sri Lankan -- in your area? You might be surprised!

    If you're still out of luck, I think this recipe should hold it's own even without this ingredient. Do let me know if you happen to make it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm in a farming area of Ontario, Canada... we don't have many ethnic stores in my area... but this dish looks SOOOO good (and my husband and I adore curry) that I feel like I must figure out where to get all the ingredients and make it. I will keep you posted :) Thanks for the reply :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes, you must try this, especially if you like spicy food. Btw, this's kinda a dry version without any gravy.

    Anyways, good luck! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. wowo this a winner for sure...am gonna buy prawns only to try this out!
    and yes yes in coconut oil...

    ReplyDelete
  14. babe am trying this out today. you sure no pearl onions? i cant stop myself from using onion in any onion-less dish. the horny me!!!

    i like to dip in these old posts of yours...not rushed and spaced out.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sweetie, that's the best part of this recipe... there's hardly any prep needed--I mean no cutting onions, etc. You just whizz the spices and simmer it all together with a drizzle of coconut oil and a generous scatter of curry leaves. Voila, delicious prawn roast is ready! Try it and let me know ok. Btw, Nisha (Look Who's Cooking) told me she tried it and loved it :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. i loved it more than well...am thinking ;p

    couldn hold back from the horny pearls and added them too. if not for the damned high cholesterol content in these rippers....

    making them tomorrow again!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Tied this recipe and it was absolutely delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

A million thank you's for stopping by, taking the time to connect, and coming back to visit again. I genuinely appreciate each of your kind thoughts, lovely words, love and support. Happy, happy to hear from you, and hope to see you again!

♥ Nashi