January 2, 2011

Lentil Curry With Zucchini And Spring Onions — Zucchini Parippu Curry

Each time I visit one of those classy looking web sites, my wish list keeps increasing. I wish I were more articulate. I wish I had a better camera. I wish I knew html. I wish I could make my blog pages more appealing. I wish...   I wish...!! Sigh. In all honesty I have to say that I'm not too happy with the look and feel of this site and I've been trying to update the recipe index tab, the about page, as well as work on some other bits and pieces. But for some reason my site has been acting funny and this whole thing is turning to be quite time-consuming. So, hope you have more patience with me as I work on the updates. Thank you.

Two days ago I made this simple dish with creamy and nutritious split red lentils. I always stock my storecupboards with different pulses as they have an indefinite shelf life. Dal is a staple food of South Asia. For me, it is a comfort food. Especially lentil soups. Have you ever tried the lentil soup from Nando's? It's so yummy!

Lentil Curry With Zucchini And Spring Onions — Zucchini Parippu Curry

Ingredients

1 cup hulled, split red lentils (masoor dal)
1 green chili, halved lengthwise
½ teaspoon turmeric powder
¼ teaspoon chili powder
1 tablespoon sliced onions
1 ½ cup zucchini (courgette), diced
¼ cup spring onions, diced
10 fresh curry leaves
½ cup fresh coconut, grated
¼ teaspoon fennel seeds
1 shallot
¼ teaspoon black mustard seeds
1 dry red chili, halved
2 teaspoon oil

Directions

Place lentils in a strainer and rinse under running water. Drain and tip into a large deep pan with the turmeric, 4 curry leaves, green chili and the onion slices. Pour 3 cups water and season. Bring to boil over medium-low heat and cook, uncovered, until lentils are tender. Turn down the heat and stir in zucchini and cook for 5 minutes or until the zucchini is tender.

Meanwhile grind the coconut, fennel seeds and shallots to a fine paste by adding 1/3 cup water. Stir this paste into the lentil curry and then add the spring onions. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 3-4 more minutes until the lentils are mushy. Check and season to taste.

In a small saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Add mustard seeds and cook until they crackle, about 30 seconds. Remove from heat, tip in the red chili and the remaining curry leaves and toss in the oil. Drizzle over the curry and mix well.

You can serve this with plain rice or dip your choice of bread into it.

Note: Red lentils cook up easily and fairly soft. Adjust the cooking time to leave your curry creamy or textured, as you desire.



No comments:

Post a Comment

A million thank you's for stopping by, taking the time to connect, and coming back to visit again. I genuinely appreciate each of your kind thoughts, lovely words, love and support. Happy, happy to hear from you, and hope to see you again!

♥ Nashi