February 23, 2012

Warm, Aromatic Broccoli Salad — Broccoli Upperi

Pin It
It’s Thursday! Simple pleasures, ah.

I’ve been so busy this week, I didn’t realize that the weekend is here.

My husband’s brother and family are visiting from Canada and we’ve been full of activities. In fact, we have a couple of things lined up for this weekend too and I can’t wait for the fun to begin. So I’ll go to the recipe quickly and save the chitchat for later.
I’ve been in an attempt to fill our plates with plenty of hero foods lately.

Foods that fight for our life, and are healthy. Foods that promote longevity, and act as immunity boosters. And finally, foods that make us feel and look great.

Broccoli, or even broccolini, tops the hero food checklist. It’s the superstar of vegetables, known as super food for a reason—low calorie, rich in nutrients like vitamin A and C, folic acid, potassium, iron, calcium, plenty of fibers and a good source of antioxidants. And here’s what I like most: this green has a strong, positive impact on helping our body detoxify. Oh, and it’s good for the waistline too, as it gives us a feeling of being full.
Okay, I hope in three sentences I have convinced you to include more of this green veg in your diet!

I usually throw in broccoli while making noodles and pasta, or Chinese style stir-fry. Of late, I’ve been addicted to cooking it with lentils and the aromatic kaffir lime leaves, while keeping it simple. A quick, nutritious and delicious stir-fry that can be created on the spur of the moment.

The way you cook this vegetable is important. To get the most health benefits, let it sit for a good couple of minutes after cutting (just like cabbage). Steaming is recommended for preserving nutrients, as opposed to cooking in water and then draining which results in greater loss of nutrients. Also, don’t overcook. Broccoli looses it bright color and crisp texture after 6-7 minutes of cooking. Did you know that all parts of broccoli is edible? Yes, that includes the green leaf.

So here’s my aromatic, spicy broccoli and lentil salad ready in just 10 minutes. Healthy never tasted this good!
Warm, Aromatic Broccoli Salad — Broccoli Upperi

Ingredients
Serves 2
Prep+cooking: 10 min

500g broccoli, rinsed, trimmed and cut into small florets
½ teaspoon black mustard seeds
1 tablespoon split black lentils (urad dal)
few curry leaves (optional)
1 large onion, sliced
3-4 fresh kaffir lime leaf, center-vein removed, and finely chopped
2-3 fresh red chili peppers, slit lengthwise
salt, to taste
1 tablespoon olive oil
water
Directions

To prepare broccoli, first separate the florets from the stalk and then cut into small individual florets with short stems, and diagonally slice the larger ones for even cooking. Set aside for a couple of minutes for maximum health benefits.

Meanwhile, heat oil in a wok or deep nonstick pan, over low heat. Add mustards and cook until the seeds crackle, then add the lentils and toss well for 15 seconds. Stir in the onions and curry leaves and cook until the onions are tender, about 3 minutes. Add fresh chili and lime leaves and cook for 30 seconds. Finally tip in broccoli and stir-fry on high heat for 3 minutes. Season and reduce heat to low. Now add a splash of water to the pan and cover to create some steam. Cook, covered, for 2 more minutes or until crisp-tender and still bright green. Taste and adjust seasoning, as needed.

Serve as a salad, or as a side to go with a bowl of steamed rice.

By the way, I have updated and organized my recipe index page. Yes, finally. Hope you find it user friendly. So browse away.

What are your plans for the weekend?

Have a good one!

41 comments:

  1. Broccoli is something that I run away from...ur upperi makes me rethink...Looks good with those beautiful clicks...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this super veggie a lot, thank you for sharing this lovely salad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. mmm.... Love this hero veggie and the heroine behind the lovely snaps..:) Never tried this veg like upperi. Nice post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Broccoli is something I dont like but girl, ur pics make me want to have that... reallly... lovely lovely pics as alwaiiiiis... enjoy ur weekend...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow..I love broccoli.This is superb..Nice clicks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. beautifully taken pics n a wonderful salad

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love recipe and lovely presentation. I am bookmarking this Nashira :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is so interesting...I made broccoli in a similar manner a few days back!! Isn't it delicious?!! I love your presentation and clicks.
    http://www.easyfoodsmith.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Salad looks bright and colourful... I don;t think anyone can resist this delicious bowl..
    Lovely pictures dear..
    Reva

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wwo what lovely pictures. I find it difficult to believe that the brocolli is cooked. Such lovely colour.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Since this recipe does not require baking...will defnly give this a try...will shallots give it that mallu zing?

    ReplyDelete
  12. healthy brocoli salad.....superb

    ReplyDelete
  13. I too love Broccoli, but can't find it often here in Hyderabad. We can eat it simply steamed.. so this will go down very well

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm a huge fan of broccoli and need no excuse to eat it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I cant take my eyes off those vibrant clicks! Lovely as always!
    The salad looks refreshing!

    ReplyDelete
  16. refreshing broccoli salad....amazing clicks too...

    ReplyDelete
  17. Looks great dear, Iam yet to try the kaffir lime, using the leaves should have given a refreshing flavor to the dish rt, and again love your clicks..

    ReplyDelete
  18. Looks bright and colorful,love this veggie and you have cooked it perfectly,spicy and yummy..

    ReplyDelete
  19. Very healthy and colorful salad, cute clicks too

    ReplyDelete
  20. So green, so colorful, so healthy and just divine!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. healthy and colourful salad...lovely clicks..

    Join the Just "4" Fun event :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. we love broccoli a lot n this salad sounds so good...beautiful clicks dear!!
    Spicy Treats
    OnGoing Event:Show Me Your HITS~Healthy Delights

    ReplyDelete
  23. Yum! I love broccoli! I recently learnt that my daughter loves this lovely veggie too so this stir-fry is definitely on the menu ;)

    ReplyDelete
  24. read many articles about how good broccoli is, but somehow i never developed a taste for this supefood...i like the idea of a warm salad.. looks lovely & healthy. have loads of fun

    ReplyDelete
  25. Lovely salad and even lovelier photos...they can easily go in a magazine....

    ReplyDelete
  26. Lovely stir fry will try for sure!!beautiful clicks as always!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oh yum, this looks delicious and nutritious! I was just thinking about a side dish to make tonight (we're having pork and there's only so much pork I can eat if you know what I mean...), and this looks like the winner. Thanks again for dropping by my site and I look forward to seeing more of your recipes. Your nutella mug cake looks excellent too, by the way ;)

    ReplyDelete
  28. A broccoli uperi is new. :-) But I can expect it to find it's way here, on your blog. The colours are gorgeous in the picture.

    It is so wonderful to have relatives over. I miss my kith and kin all the more after the wedding get together in Kerala.

    Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  29. This salad looks wonderful - so colorful and so healthy! I'm sure it's full of spicy flavor. It might be nice over some simple rice noodles. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I am sure this tastes as good as it looks.Superb pic.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Haven't tried broccoli till now (even though aware of its health benefits :) ) Your post has inspired me to try this warm upperi soon :) Thanks for sharing...

    ReplyDelete
  32. I sometimes add broccoli to seasoned yogurt as a light side dish.This is surely a wonderful way to prepare broccoli. Love the beautiful presentation and the combination of colors.

    ReplyDelete
  33. we love eating broccoli but never really tried to make salad with it. This sounds delicious and something I am definitely gonna try next.
    Hope you are having fun with the guest :)

    ReplyDelete
  34. wow...healthy and delicious salad....amazing clicks too...:)

    ReplyDelete
  35. Didn't know I should keep the broccoli aside before cooking. Thanks for the info. I love broccoli and this sounds wonderful, lovely photos!

    ReplyDelete
  36. yum so healthy and delicious!! this looks great, nice lighting in the pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Your pics make me drool, i am not a fan of broccoli, still ;)

    ReplyDelete
  38. I love brocoli and this looks simply delish.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Yum! Your recipes all look so wonderful!

    ReplyDelete

A million thank you's for stopping by, taking the time to connect, and coming back to visit again. I genuinely appreciate each of your kind thoughts, lovely words, love and support. Happy, happy to hear from you, and hope to see you again!

♥ Nashi