August 11, 2011

Chicken Puffs — light, crisp, flaky pastries stuffed with spicy chicken filling —a stunning starter for any occasion

Pin It
Would you believe me if I told you how everything keeps happening at such great pace that I find it challenging to keep up with the swing? Oh yeah, it's true. Or that's how I feel at least. With no surprise. As expectations run high this month; heat index is at its highest; and we are in the middle of spiritual, physical and mental restrains.

Preparing for Iftar usually takes up a lot of my energy, thoughts and time. The highlight of the day being the table laid for a memorable meal with family and friends—sometimes elaborate, sometimes simple—by sunset.

So, whatever else I wish to do in between keeps getting pushed to the background. Well, we cannot control everything, can we?

To say that I’ve been very lucky to have made some lovely friends through this space would be an understatement. But, lucky I have been.

In the short span of half a year, I’ve had plenty of memorable moments, and I'm grateful. Besides being able to let go of some baggage that my heart held hostage, making room for new beginnings, I was also able to connect with consequential strangers, albeit virtually, who inspired me, educated me, gave me company and most of all, with whom I was able to stretch myself beyond familiar roles.

Surprisingly, I came by these opportunities through this little space. And you, my readers and friends, made it possible. You lifted my mood when I was feeling down, energized me, and motivated me to take the struggles of daily life with optimism and a smile that reaches my eyes. Among other things, when loved ones tend to typecast us (no complaints), it is the new people we meet that bring a fresh breath of energy to our lives.

Sometimes we form unique bonds with consequential strangers, and they become good friends. Like Gayathri, Anita and Kadhija, for instance. I was fortunate to come across these girls, a while ago, through their wonderful blogs. What's more, I was even more lukcy to meet two of them for real, recently. Yes, a face-to-face meeting in the real world. 

A few weeks ago, Gayathri, who lives in Doha, dropped by my place one evening to check out my books. We had a wonderful time chitchatting, really. She’s such a vivacious person that I feel like I’ve known her for long. Though she’s much younger to me in age, and newly married too.

Then, there is Anita from Bahrain. I connected with her through our blogs, and particularly after she tried out my apple pudding recipe and—it might sound cheesy to say, but I will all the same—raved about it on her space, Slice of my Lyfe. The prospect of meeting her in person was more than appealing and I was really excited when she agreed to share a few hours of her precious time in Doha, with me. In fact, she joined us for Iftar, last weekend, with her hubby and cute little daughter, Mimi. I didn’t have much time to prepare an elaborate meal but they were happy with what little I managed to put together. It was truly a wonderful experience. Something that’ll bring a smile to my face, no matter what circumstances.

Now, I met Kadija a few months ago through her lovely blog, Creative Mind. She is a student who lives in Islamabad, Pakistan, with her parents, and what impressed me most was her great positive attitude, besides her creative ideas with arts and crafts. Needless to say, I was thrilled and honored when she wanted to feature one of my recipes—mini pizza—on her beautiful space, as part of her Iftar meal series. I hope you take some time to stop by her blog, say hello and spend a while looking through her great ideas.

Hmm, I’m sure now you believe me when I tell how lucky I have been.

Allow me to quote Robert Brault on this occasion, "I value the friend who for me finds time on his calendar, but I cherish the friend who for me does not consult his calendar." I realize how blessed I am to have such friends from different walks of life: especially from work, school, and now through this space. Thank you all!

Okay, where was I before I got so emotional? Oh yes, with the recipe for chicken puffs!

After my last post, I’m sure at least some of you must have thought that fruits are all we have for Iftar. In truth, there’s so much more on our table than just drinks and salads with seasonal fruits. In fact, there are some very different palettes at home that I have to take into account everyone’s preferences. For instance, my kids love to much on hot and tasty snacks like samoosa, pakora, bhaji, cutlet, spring rolls or puffs, for Iftar. My brother, on the other hand, is a fitness freak and usually skips these fried or baked goodies in favor of super healthy sandwiches.

So, coming more to the point, no meal would be complete without a platter full of tempting fritters and bite-sized savories. That’s our Iftar tradition.

I’ve been making these puffs for almost ten years now. We simply love biting into spicy meat nestled in crisp, flaky pastry. Ha. And never grow tired of it. Quite on the contrary.

Each Ramadan I'm inspired to try something new. A new shape or filling, or a slightly different recipe to tickle the fancy of my kids and our regular guests. I find the options endless and experiments inspiring, particularly when I can easily buy pastry sheets from the stores here and it comes handy for special occasions like this. Sometimes it is the extra touches that can make a difference. 

So, you'll see a few of my puffs recipes here—traditional ones, plus new interesting twists—hoping to tempt your fancy too. And I hope you are really tempted to give them a try. Because they taste even better than they look!

I like to keep the puff masala a bit moist, as I feel that it improves the taste. Make the meat masala and store it in the refrigerator in airtight containers, like I do, to take some pressure off your time in the kitchen before the meal. This way you are ready to fill, shape and bake the pastry in a snap.

Now, before I proceed to the recipes, please excuse the poor photo quality and repetitive food styling. The truth is, I’m shooting in the PM, in low light conditions, and just a few minutes before breaking the fast. So the standards are much lower than what I’d normally strive for—sorry.
Okay, are you ready for some fun and scrumptious ideas to impress your guests or family?  These irresistible appetizers pack a whole lot of flavor. And it doesn’t get any better. Try it—you’ll  see I’m not kidding.

Spicy Chicken Masala

Minced chicken cooked with lots of spices and veggies makes a delectable filling to satisfy your carvings. I usually sneak in a bit of veggies into our meat dishes, so the use of beans and carrots.

Ingredients

2 cups chicken, cooked and minced
2 tablespoon oil
2 cups onion, finely sliced
1 ½ medium tomato, chopped
1/3 cup coriander, chopped
handful curry leaves, torn to small pieces
1 green chili, sliced
1/3 cup green beans, finely sliced
1/3 cup carrot, finely grated
3 teaspoon ginger-garlic paste
1 ½ teaspoon Kashmiri chili powder
1 ½ teaspoon garam masala powder
pinch turmeric
1 ½ teaspoon coriander powder
1 teaspoon pepper powder
1 teaspoon fennel powder
2 teaspoon meat masala (I used Nirapara)
juice of one small lime
salt, to taste
generous splash water

Directions

For the meat, I cooked 2 chicken breasts with salt to taste, ½ teaspoon pepper powder, ½ teaspoon fennel powder and a pinch of turmeric. Then the meat was drained and minced by hand. You may use a food processor to pulse-process the chicken, if you like. Set aside.

Heat 2 tablespoon oil in a large nonstick frying pan over medium-low heat. Add onions and stir-fry for 10-15 minutes or until the onions become translucent and a bit brown. Add ginger–garlic paste, sliced chili and curry leaves and cook for 1 minute, before adding the tomatoes. Cook the tomatoes until soft and pulpy, about 3-4 minutes. Then add carrot and bean and stir-fry for 2 minutes. Tip in turmeric, coriander, chili, fennel and pepper powders and cook for 1 minute more. Season with salt. Now, tip in the minced meat; add garam masala and meat masala powders. Drizzle with lime juice and stir fry everything together for 3-4 minutes adding a generous splash of water to keep the masala moist. Finally add the chopped cilantro, mix well and cook for two more minutes. Before you take off the heat, you can add a drizzle of coconut oil for an authentic Kerala taste, if you like.

Chicken Puffs

My family and I, and invariably the guests too, prefer bite size puffs for Iftar meals. I trim the sides of the pastry squares to make them smaller, and more appealing.

Ingredients

10 square puff pastry, thawed (I generally use Alkaramah)
1 egg, beaten
chicken masala, as needed

Directions

Thaw the pastry squares, as needed, separating the sheets and laying them on a tray lined with parchment paper, at room temperature. Thaw until completely and evenly moist, but not dry. With the high heat index, it usually takes me around 30-45 minutes.

Heat the oven to 375oF or 190oC.

Meanwhile, trim the sides of the pastry with a sharp knife, to make smaller squares, if you like. Don’t worry about wasting pastry—you can put them to great use with a simple, yet delectable recipe. Just scroll down toward the end of this post to have a sneak view.

For rectangular shapes, spread the mixture lengthwise over half of the dough to within ½ inch of edges. Then, fold dough over the filling, and pinch or press the edges together to seal. Use a fork, if you like.
For triangular puffs, place the filling in the center and fold from one corner to the opposite corner to form a triangle. Seal the edges by pinching or pressing.

Place the pasty about 2 inches apart on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Brush the top with egg, and bake at for 8-12 minutes, or until puffed, flaky and golden brown—adjust baking time as necessary. Serve warm.

Scrumptious Chicken Bowls

These savory puff bowls look sophisticated and taste delicious. They'll sure be a hit in parties.

Ingredients

puff pastry squares, thawed
1 egg, beaten
tomato ketchup, as needed
chicken masala, as needed
cilantro leaves, to garnish

Directions

Heat the oven to 375oF or 190oC.

Lightly grease the cups of a muffin pan. If you wish, use mini-muffin pans for bite sized treats—just trim the pastry sheets accordingly.

Press the pastry squares into muffin cups. Trim the edges, if you like, and brush the top with egg. Use a fork to prick the centers. Bake for 10-15 minutes, or until golden brown and puffed up.

Remove from oven and use a rounded teaspoon to press down the centers and sides of the cups to make an indentation. Cool in pan for 5 minutes and then remove and cool on a wire rack for additional 5 minutes. 

Spoon 1 teaspoon tomato ketchup into each pastry cup and top with chicken masala. Garnish with chopped cilantro leaves, if you like. Serve warm.

Bite-size Pizzas

Pastry sheets make excellent pizza crusts—perfect for entertaining. Though the pictures don’t do justice to the recipe, it is oh so good!

Ingredients

puff pastry squares, thawed
shredded mozzarella cheese, thawed
sliced black olives, to garnish

For the sauce
4 tablespoon tomato ketchup
1 heaped teaspoon dried oregano
½ teaspoon dry basil
½ teaspoon dry marjoram
salt, to taste


Directions


Heat the oven to 375oF or 190oC.

Meanwhile, mix the entire ingredient for the sauce and set aside.

Roll out the pasty sheets to stretch it a bit, one at a time, on a slightly floured surface. Cut into 4 equal squares using a sharp knife. Prick the surface with a fork, and spread a teaspoon of the sauce on to each mini square leaving a tiny edge, if possible. Then top with a teaspoon of the chicken masala. Sprinkle with the cheese and place a sliced olive on top.

Place the squares on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and bake for 10-15 minutes until the pastries are golden brown and the cheese is melted. 

Cool on wire racks. Serve warm.

Frosted Flakes

Mmm, here’s what I do with the left over thawed pastry sheets as well as the wasted trimmed pastry strips. It’s so simple—yet simply delicious!

Ingredients

2 pastry squares, thawed
¼ cup confectioners’ sugar (icing sugar)
1 teaspoon cinnamon powder
confectioners’ sugar , for dusting (optional)


Directions


Heat the oven to 400oF or 204oC.

Place the sugar and cinnamon in a plastic bag and shake to combine; set aside.

Meanwhile, cut the pastry squares into 1-inch strips with a sharp knife, and then cut the strips into small triangles. Place the pastry triangles, separated, on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake for 10-15 minutes until puffed and golden brown. Cool for 2 minutes in the tray. Then, add the pastry to the bag and shake to coat, taking care not to crumble. Serve dusted with extra confectioners’ sugar, if you like.


In the meantime, I hope you have a wonderful weekend.

86 comments:

  1. Omg, wat a fabulous bites, cant take my eyes from those incredible frosted flakes, just drooling here..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Priya, ahahh, you should try them. It's pretty good and the recipe can't be any easier!

    ReplyDelete
  3. different shapes of puffs..really cute n tempting...perfectly baked!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow .....hat's off to u ... well presented n never knew one can make so many varieties out of puff pastry.. .... the only thing i make is mini puffs.. .

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW!!! I love the way you style the food. The puffs look fantastic:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Rekha, S, and Nandita!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mind blowing Nash. SO many varieties of snacks with the same ingredients. Lovely. You rock dear. Snaps are amazing. Only problem for me is that we wont get puff pastry here usually... :) Searched a lot but in vain. Only in some selected places.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey,this looks amazing.I bake mine with cheese in it too.yummy

    ReplyDelete
  10. what a mouthwatering post Nash! awesome photographs and equally good recipe. Congrats!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. love to try your vol-au-vent ones, they look so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love all your versions, particularly the bite sized pieces and the stacks withs cheese, Yummy! Thank you so much for linking with Any One Can Cook :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Mouthwatering pictures & tempting ideas. I'm inviting myself to your place for Iftar :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a spread! Each one looks better than the other! Love your photos:)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Fabulous pics, especially of the triangular puffs on the dark blue plate, with one puff resting on the cup....love it....

    ReplyDelete
  16. waooo..my sweety hearty this is such a YUMMY post..i want to be your guest on iftar..hmmm..its a wonderful recipe..thanks a bunch for sharing with us
    &
    Thanks again for writing lovely words for me, its my pleasure to have you friend..blogging is a cool activity for making awesome friends of your own TASTE..hehe
    Lots of Love!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. absolutely love those cute lil pizzas..Amazing clicks

    ReplyDelete
  18. Fabulous recipes (I have my eye on your chicken masala!) and wonderful photographs! It all looks so delicious. Great post! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Perfect appitizer food! Everything looks mouthwatering and beautiful. Yummy.

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  20. wow wow very amazing and wonderful clicks !! loved it !!

    hey u can send this to my ongoing event.

    Ongoing Event - CC-Appetizers

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh my goodness, how did I never know of your blog before?! Your photography is stunning! and so different from the usual 'pretty' food photography one tends to find on recipe blogs. I love it, Anita (icontemplate) referred me to your site, and I'm so glad she did! Adding you to my RSS feed now!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Nash babe..!! Awww...I am utterly flattered with the mention. Thank you so much. Friends such as you and others in the blog space have really "made" my past couple of months. Couldn't put it any better than you- Breath of fresh air into the dreary monotonous lives ! :) I know I ve made a friend for life thru U. Don't worry about the pics as the lovely bites totally compensate for it. Loved the chicken bowls and puffs especially. After you mentioned last time, I ve also got Alkaramah puff pastry squares during my last grocery shopping in the hope to attempt this soon. Btw, I also have the same Tefal pathram ! How cool is that..hehe..

    ReplyDelete
  23. hey nash...Amazing post dear...Just love the pics...

    ReplyDelete
  24. And ya small suggestion: When you make stuff like this especially the next time, could you please include step-by-step preparation pics? Needn't be picture perfect as per your standards !! Just like a collage of 9-10 pics to get the flow. I know it means extra work, maybe post Ramadan. :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. spicy and yummy puffs...and lot of nice pics to drool over..

    ReplyDelete
  26. Loved the different types u have put on. Neatly done and yummy

    ReplyDelete
  27. Nashira,loved all the versions you have shown here.My only regret is that I am not living anywhere near you. So for the time being I will just drool over the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hey thats an excellent delicious spread...Loved the bowls very much...my next try will be that...veg version...
    BTW I made the cookies again and this time with custard powder and cashew bits and again it was a big success...Will be posting it soon...in 2 weeks time..;)

    ReplyDelete
  29. too gud....loved the clicks as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Scrumptious looking, great photographs. Beautiful uses of puff pastry.

    ReplyDelete
  31. delicious looking puff pastries, I find puff pastries test best with chicken in it. I haven't had the frosted flakes will remember to try it next time I make puff pastries
    regards Akheela

    ReplyDelete
  32. wow wow very amazing and wonderful clicks !! loved it !!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Very colourful and delicious pastries!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Awesome Nash! these are so tempting Also, I truly applaud all of you who take up the fast during this month inspite of the hectic and hot days... its wonderful that it is done so religiously and carefully... Its lovely reading about meeting fellow bloggers... that's so sweet that you folks got a chance to get-together..

    ReplyDelete
  35. Scrumptious and absolutely wonderful..crispy and perfect snack,love all the shapes,the pizzs and the frosted ones looks divine.

    ReplyDelete
  36. What a beautiful post in every way...thank you so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  37. That is so sweet of you to write about your friends. Without friends life sucks! I am blessed with loads of friends and now after I came to US, i miss them and out here I am not able to make any friends yet. SO feel a tad bit J about you meeting up with friends who are food bloggers and share the same passion :) As for those bites .. what can I say . nothing can beat a puff filled with chicken .. YUMMY!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Irresistible with those captivating pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  39. What a creative ways with puff pastry! Tempting clicks and mouth watering...

    ReplyDelete
  40. You have such a lovely blog! I'm so glad you stopped by mine so I could find yours. I'll be back often. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  41. OMG! It was like never ending for me. How did you manage to make all those in Ramadan? Seriously, I am juggling my way down all these days. You have done a fab job! love them truely....I want them right now!! Ohh I am so eagerly waiting for Maghrib :(

    ReplyDelete
  42. Your food styling are always so perfect and I must learn from you :)
    Love the puff pastry, look so yummy <3

    ReplyDelete
  43. one of my fav snack...looks very tempting..

    ReplyDelete
  44. Lovely post....
    and awesome snacks :)

    ReplyDelete
  45. This is a puff party! Well done and deliciously so. Beautiful post and yes, where would we be without foodie friends!
    I have to try this filling one day. Looks YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  46. Each and every bit of that yummy food I remember. I turned non vegetarian for that evening alone!! Else I know I would be missing some fabulous food. You must think I am so fickle that ways. But not when it comes to being friends!
    Thank you so much for the mention. I had a wonderful evening gorging on those delectable snacks and meeting your family. It did not look like I had met you for the first time. You made us feel so comfortable.
    Lots of love,
    Anita

    ReplyDelete
  47. wow I love it! SO PERFECT for iftar! thanks for sharing sweetie

    ReplyDelete
  48. excellent ideas...next tim i get my hands on some puff pastry im gonna do this

    ReplyDelete
  49. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  50. Hey Nash , kamy a is my sis and she forgot to log off , you have to invite me over to your house for Iftar , I love all of what you made , yummmmm!!!! .

    ReplyDelete
  51. Wonderful post, Nash..Loved all the snacks..I have tried puff pastry pizza once and it was fantastic, got the idea from a cookbook. Will be trying your chicken bowl soon..The pictures are gorgeous..

    ReplyDelete
  52. Ah yes! this is all good stuff…looks delicious and so yummy! thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  53. wow cannot take my eyes from the pic.... i am drooling over here...

    Dish Name Starts with J
    Learning-to-cook
    Regards,
    Akila

    ReplyDelete
  54. So many thinks to snack? wow..love the puffs and little pizzas..I can have countless of those in a go.Hope you are having a great time fasting & feasting!

    ReplyDelete
  55. Nash, thank you dear for entering these yummy bites to KK.

    ReplyDelete
  56. OMG..these look super delicious and yummy...amazing clicks and these made me hungry like anything...awesome dear..

    ReplyDelete
  57. Un deleite para los ojos y el paladar,muy hermoso,una receta excelente,eres grandiosa admiro mucho tu cocina ,todo me seduce,abrazos.

    ReplyDelete
  58. Chicken puff looks delicious, yummy and tempting. Very nicely prepared. Wonderful presentation.

    ReplyDelete
  59. Awesome. looks like I have to visit you and gaya3 soon :D Your pics are so tempting.. I am feeling hungry now!! Its midnight here! :(

    ReplyDelete
  60. Owh dear, I love chicken! And chicken puff...:)

    Loved the filling!!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  61. This post of yours is a foodie's delight nashira! You are just killing us... with joy as well as envy :D joy at the wonderful food laid out, and envy at the gorgeous pictures and settings of course! hehehe... but seriously, loving every bit of it :) Wish I could come for one of your Iftar parties and gobble up all this amazing food!!!

    ReplyDelete
  62. A picture is worth a thousand words ~ your stunning pics proved it all over again, can’t stop staring! Happy ramadan festivities to you and your family my dear.

    USMasala

    ReplyDelete
  63. First time at ur space,..:) aim amazed by ur pics,.l

    ReplyDelete
  64. Wow.. eye catchy pictures.. like always :)
    love the frosted flakes especially.. never thought of that idea..
    I am coming with Ambreen to ur place for iftar.. :)

    Thanks For Linking it with Iftar Nights..

    Jabeen's Corner

    Ongoing Event-Iftar nights

    ReplyDelete
  65. thanks for the welcome back back!...amazing pics as always.....puffs look deliciious...I could enjoy a few right now!:)

    ReplyDelete
  66. What a fun way to start an iftar meal. These finger food looks utter delicious.
    And yes it feels good to meet other bloggers whom we only know through their blogs. I wonder how this blogging community has helped me to meet some wonderful people (virtually) from all over the world.

    ReplyDelete
  67. very nice recipe.....and the clicks are so soothing and catchy!!.....loved it completely
    A Girl's Diary
    Event:
    What's On Your Kebab Platter:win a gift

    ReplyDelete
  68. Hi Nash
    So sorry to be late to post my comment. I ahd seen this wonderful post but was unable to comment as my little one was wanting all the attention and he threatened to smash my screen if not.
    This one is too good. Just love your patience one to prepare and two to click such amazing pics.
    Wish you a happy Ramadan!

    ReplyDelete
  69. wowww.. amazing dear.. never seen a better puffs snap than this.. by the way, that blue serving plate is so beautiful :)

    ReplyDelete
  70. Ahh, thank you my lovely friends for all the sweet notes, good wishes and great suggestions. As always, I’m so touched by your response. Thanks again!

    And yea, you are most welcome to share an Iftar with my family and I. It’ll be a great pleasure indeed!

    To those visiting my space for the first time, a big hearty welcome!

    ReplyDelete
  71. Seeing these yummy treats, I am getting to know what all I missed other than meeting u...Hopefully sm time we too will meet :) pics are amazing as always!!

    ReplyDelete
  72. wow...that looks so cute and delicious...the last time I had chicken puffs was during my college days....:(...girl, you tempted me with your clicks that I am drooling over here....

    ReplyDelete
  73. Very creative post! I love puff pastry in all its glory.

    The bite size mini pizzas looks awesome. My mother-in-law actually does something similar to that and it always comes out amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  74. beautiful pictures Nashira!!! loved your work

    ReplyDelete
  75. This is a great post. It is well written and I am glad you are enjoying your blogging! Thanks for the recipes for all these meaty appetizers, I will need to try-yum!

    ReplyDelete
  76. Thanks Tina! Yes, please do try them whenever you get a chance.

    ReplyDelete
  77. Absolutely loving all these beautiful photos and recipes. I'm a big fan of stuffed pastry - especially in these flavors! Happy to have found your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  78. This is making me seriously hungry. Its been a long time since i made the puffs and love ur idea of the pizza bites. and LOVE that board :)

    ReplyDelete
  79. "..please excuse the poor photo quality and repetitive food styling."
    Are you kidding us,Nashira?Ain't that very modest of you?:-) The first thing that I wanted to say when I looked at your blog was "Wonderful pictures!".
    May I also add that these recipes show how high on talent you are!Innovative,delicious and yet simple.Recipes like these are what we were striving for when I attended my culinary school.
    Loved it,in fact,I am tweeting your recipe too!:-)

    ReplyDelete
  80. Hey Yasmeen, thanks for popping over. Happy to hear from you!

    Soma dear, those pizza bites are the best--trust me. You gotta give it a try.

    Hi Fahad, thank you for your kind and generous words. You are so nice. And, thanks for the shout out too!

    ReplyDelete
  81. The deeper I dig into your blog, the more addicted I'm becoming to it! It's a pity I didn't find it earlier, but as they say, it's better later than never! :)

    ReplyDelete
  82. AnonymousJune 15, 2012

    Hello!!!

    I tried this recipe. But my puffs did not puff up. I follwed d same method as urs. They were flaky n crisp but not puffed after baking. Can u pls help?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohh I'm sorry to hear that! What kind of pastry sheets did you use? Though most store bought frozen pastry work perfectly well, there are some that don't puff up well, so make sure you buy a reliable label. Other issues could be:

      1. oven temperature: make sure you pre-heat the oven, this is essential. also, use the temp listed here as a guideline, phaps your oven works differently, and the puffs need to be baked at higher temp to produce enough heat for rising
      2. make sure the pastry sheets don't dry out when left for thawing
      3. make sure the egg wash, if using, does not run down the sides preventing it from rising
      4. when using a filling, make sure it's at room temp, if not if can melt the pastry layers and prevent it form expanding

      Hope this helps. Good luck!

      Delete
    2. AnonymousJune 19, 2012

      Dear Nashira,
      Thank you so much for replying to my request. I used Alkaramah pastry sheets. And oven temperature i maintained as 180 degrees. I use an onida microwave convection 4 my baking. My baking results in it are not very good as I also notice that my cakes do not rise well or most of the time are undercooked in the middle and bottom. I am still experimenting with its temperature setting and unfortunately no luck.Do you have any solution for this problem?

      With regard to your last 3 points,I admit that I overlooked them. So the next time I will have to keep them in mind.Thank you once again

      Delete
  83. AnonymousJuly 30, 2012

    Hi Nashira,
    Its a superb post with awesome pics. Loved them and wanted to try them soon. But I hav a quer. How many pastry sheets do u use approx 4 d puffs? I mean wen I bought the alkaramah pack,I cud nt judge as to how many sheets u use 2 make 1 puff?

    ReplyDelete
  84. Hi,
    I just came across this recipe when I was searching for chicken puffs and it really blew me away. Its just what I needed. Its great to see someone from Doha. I am basically from Doha too. :-)
    Hope you will drop by on my blog too. lovelifenlollypop.blogspot.com
    Thanks again for the many variations on puffs.

    ReplyDelete

A million thank you's for stopping by, taking the time to connect, and coming back to visit again. I genuinely appreciate each of your kind thoughts, lovely words, love and support. Happy, happy to hear from you, and hope to see you again!

♥ Nashi